From Amsterdam to The Alps, Brussels to Brisbane, ten of the world’s most spectacular parking sites are lining up to take pole position in the 2018 ‘World’s Coolest Car Parks’ competition – and a car park in Leeds is among the runners.
The shortlist, which celebrates creativity and design in buildings often perceived as dull and dreary, has been created by architecture and design website DesignCurial and airport parking site Looking4.com.
The winner will be announced following an online vote – the public have until 8 July to choose their favourite car park design: www.looking4.com/uk/blog/worlds-coolest-car-parks
Martin Mansell, Managing Director of Looking4.com and one of the awards judges, said: “Many people think of car parks as boring, grey concrete blocks, blighting town centres around the world, but we have unearthed a shortlist of architecturally-striking buildings that challenge these misconceptions.
“Our top ten demonstrate imagination, innovation and inspiration from architects around the globe, buildings we’d be happy queuing to park our cars in – we look forward to seeing which the public vote as the world’s coolest car park.”
Sophie Killip, Web Editor at DesignCurial and fellow judge, said: “We are delighted to have been on the judging panel for the 2018 World’s Coolest Car Parks competition.
“As a design-led website, we were particularly interested in how the architects had used the space in intriguing and clever ways, challenging the traditional view of car parks and transforming the buildings into something exciting.
“In this year’s shortlist, we have everything from car parks in hillsides, to airport car parks. It’s a diverse shortlist and it’s going to be interesting to see who comes out on top after the public vote.”
World’s Coolest Car Parks 2018 shortlist (alphabetical order):
- 2KM3 at Saint Gervais – Montblanc – Curators: Hugues Chevallier and artist Frederic Battle
- Al Jahra Court Automatic Parking System – Kuwait – Architects: Robotic Parking Systems Inc.
- AZ Saint-Lucas – Ghent – Architects: Abscis Architecten
- Brisbane Airport Kinetic Parking Garage – Brisbane – Architects: Hassell architects, Ned Kahn and Urban Art Projects
- Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc – Brussels – Architects: De Jong Gortemaker Algra and Modulo
- Garagenatelier – Switzerland – Architects: Peter Kunz
- Parking Quick Morelli – Naples – Architects: Kingdom
- RAI Convention Centre Car Park – Amsterdam – Architects: Benthem Crouwel
- Sinking Ship – Seattle – Architects: Mandeville and Berge
- Victoria Gate – Leeds – Architects: ACME
The public can see the top ten and vote for their favourite here: www.looking4.com/uk/blog/worlds-coolest-car-parks
Voters will also get the chance to enter a prize draw to win £100 worth of Amazon vouchers.