Following a period of accelerated marketing on behalf of the management of Leeds Golf Club, Begbies Traynor in Leeds, has completed the sale of the business and assets of the historic club to Leeds Golf Club 1896 Limited, saving all ten jobs at the club.
Located on Elmete Lane in Roundhay, the 18-hole golf course is set in 90 acres and has an Edwardian club house. Dating back to 1896, it is the oldest golf club in Leeds and is also home to the Leeds Cup, the oldest trophy in professional golf worldwide. It has almost 400 members.
Following a period of difficult trading due to tough economic conditions, Leeds Golf Club appointed Begbies Traynor to carry out an accelerated marketing process.
Begbies Traynor was able to complete a sale of the business on 1st July 2020 with all ten employees transferring to the purchaser. Leeds Golf Club 1896 is owned and operated by Kirk Andrews who has a successful track record in the leisure and hospitality industry.
Lee Lockwood, partner at Begbies Traynor Group, said: “It’s great news for the staff and members that this historic club has been saved and is now in such experienced hands. Fortunately, we were able to find a buyer that intends to invest in the club, enabling golf to continue to be played here after almost 125 years. We wish it well for the future.”
The sale was secured via the hard work of a number of professionals from the Leeds business community. Begbies Traynor was advised by Victoria Procter and Helen Conway of Eversheds and the buyer was advised by David Sparke of Polestar Asset Management as well as Richard Bellamy and Lemi McAuley of Shoosmiths.